Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Country and Western Blues

My WiFi is not working.
I can't get my emails.
When I press print - nothing happens.
The only reason I am able to blog today is because I'm in a place with free WiFi. 
The 379 emails waiting to download feels a little intimidating.

In the background a Kenny Rodgers song from the 1970s is playing. It feels like a message from my late father - it was of his favourites.

'You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Now Ev'ry gambler knows that the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away and knowing what to keep.
'Cause ev'ry hand's a winner and ev'ry hand's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep."'

   
(Kenny Rogers The Gambler Lyrics)

It's amazing how these sort of songs are like the words from fortune tellers, some days they seem to hold a secret message just for you.  But I'm refusing to let my mind stray to career, marriage, family and friendships!

On Sunday I felt on top of the world. I got my university email to work. I managed to navigate the learning network. I printed out important articles. Yet on Monday I was unable to email my tutor my assignment. 

We’ve all felt it. The frustration that comes with computers and other technology. It seems to be just a part of life. But why? We spend a fortune on all these bits and bobs, is it really too much to ask for them to work consistently?

It seems to me that technology changes and grows in a way that unless you spend a tremendous amount of time studying and training, it’s almost impossible to stay up to date. We are left with constant learning. We all get frustrated when we learn new things because they feel foreign. You could almost say that if you could just get that document open, everything in your life would be better.

I could use this time to get the house and garden sorted, but after 3 months, the landlord has finally set a work man to fix the damage from the flood.  He is in the way of me, and I'm in his way. But at least the dog likes the new guy!

Daughter one is on a school trip, but daughter two is at home because of the teacher strike.

So with 'The Country and Western Blues,' we have decided to walk away. To have a coffee together, and then to retreat to the cinema away from the paint fumes.






No comments:

Post a Comment