Thursday, June 27, 2013

Alas, it was not to be ...

Today I got the email saying I hadn't made the cut to the core group of writers for the You Me and Everyone Project.

Did I want to get through to the final four, yes. Was I disappointed that I wasn't chosen, yes. Am I gnashing me teeth and feeling upset, no.

The true is that I'm pretty good at dealing with rejection and criticism, it's waiting and praise I find hard. I'm sure there are deep dark psychological reasons for this. I'm just not sure what they are. Probably, something to do with control. Anyhow, here is my way of dealing with the 'no.'

Remember that it's not the end of the world. Everyone says this, and it may feel like a cliché, but it's true.

Read the rejection letter carefully to be sure you haven't made a mistake or missed something. Are there re-application options? If so, respond quickly, within the deadlines. This is my second attempt at trying to get on to a ReAuthoring Project. If they come out with something new I will apply again. I will wear them down before I give up.

Re-evaluate what you're looking for. Maybe there is a reason for the no - in which case you may be better suited to another more exciting project that you just don't know about yet.

Do not take rejection personally. This commonly stated phrase is not at odds with the fact that the rejection probably feels very personal. The point behind this sentiment is that you are often at the receiving end of something far more complex than what you're able to ascertain. There are still two sides to this story. You're probably even less aware of what the person doing the rejection has to account for when reaching a decision to decline your request.

And always have something else in the pipeline - I've received a nice email from another non - fiction book opportunity two hours after my first rejection. Who knows what is around the corner.

Below is a fabulous picture a friend posted on Facebook this morning. Good luck applying.

No comments:

Post a Comment