Friday, June 21, 2013

A Win at the Poetry Cafe

Last night I was pleased to win a years subscription to The New Writer magazine at the Poetry Café at Winchester Discovery Centre.

The Poetry Cafe is a fabulous platform for local poets to share their work and for audience members to take part by voting on their favourite piece! ‘Travel’ was last nights theme of the competition and at least one your poems should reflect this. Writers can submit up to three poems. I decided to twist the theme slightly and focused on modes of travel - walking - and preparing for a holiday. I can not stress how valuable opportunities to display your work are especially when budgets are being cut everywhere.

The next event is on the 9th of October and the theme is 'Water.' To take part contact the Literature Officer Angela Hicken on 01962 846018. Audience members may simply arrive on the night. It is £4 for readers and £3 for the audience.

Top tip: to be up to date on creative events in the Winchester area - get on to Angela's mailing list. She is fabulously supportive to writers.

I'm bubbling over with excitement over my prize. For those of you that don't know The New Writer is:

'...unique and is aimed at all writers: the short story writer, the novelist, the poet, feature writer, anyone with a serious intent to develop their writing to meet the expectations of today’s editors. Launched in September 1996, in every issue you’ll find original short stories, a showcase for new poetry, articles, book reviews, market information, news and readers’ views.'

I've checked out the website and it looks pretty awesome.
http://www.thenewwriter.com/about/

It was really strange because I had asked for a copy of a back issue a few weeks ago, thinking it may be useful to subscribe for myself and The Writers at Lovedean and now I will get it hot of the press. I'm hoping my luck will hold.


No comments:

Post a Comment