Thursday, November 8, 2012

Feeling like throwing the towel!

I was pleased to see the poem I wrote at the Brian Evans Jones workshop on the Poetry Map website http://www3.hants.gov.uk/arts-service/developing-arts/arts-for-everyone/literature/writing-hampshire/poetry-map.htm

It's a fun site with lots of pins on a map, red for adults and blue for under sixteens. I hadn't heard anything after I submitted my work but I had an appointment at Winchester Council, and on reaching the car park that inspired the poem I decided to go on the site to check. It's always a lovely feeling to see your work out there and the feeling of joy increased to see another member had their work on to.

It's NaNoWriMo day eight and I want to chuck in the towel. I'm already seeing reasons why it will never be published and fundamental flaws with the plot. The idea for the story came many, many years ago when I supposed I didn't get an answer to my prayers and the story of Daniel. (Basically he prayed hard for twenty one days and then on day twenty four an angel came along and said, hey we heard you on day one but well we were busy fighting this demon sorry I'm late.) I suppose being self employed and spending huge amounts of time praying for work it resurfaced in my mind. Not that I'm writing a religious text, it's a horror story with monsters but I have a nagging feeling that maybe the premise I basing my novel is wrong.

I worked this morning, appointments with potential clients and procrastinated this afternoon by cutting the grass. Unfortunately or fortunately which ever way you look at it, I have a strong work ethic which makes it nearly impossible to quit. So back at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment