Friday, July 20, 2012

Little Surprises Friday Flash Fiction

I inspected the row of nappies while bouncing the pram. As long as she felt movement she didn't cry, I hoped she would fall asleep on the walk home.

"Sandy?"

Oh my God, Stewart! I hadn't seen him for over a year, not since he moved to Cardiff with that slag Christine. What a two timing rat! Still I'd proved I could cope on my own.

"Hiya." I muttered then turned back to the shelf. He lingered behind me like the smell of dog dirt on your shoe and he was as just as welcome. I grabbed the packet next to newborn and put it on top of the pram. Why wouldn't he take the hint and just go away I wondered?

He picked up the nappies and peered into the pram.

"I'll get these."

I was confused. He used to always nip to the toilet when it was his round. Did he think a packet of pampers would make me go back out with him?

"Jeez Sandy, why didn't you tell me? Is it a girl? What is she called?"

"Her name is Sophie."

"Can we talk? Can I see you?"

I walked to the checkout. I could feel him close behind me.

"Please. Can I come over tonight?"

He put the nappies on the counter and asked for a hundred pounds cash back.

"Here for the baby."

I tried to shake my head to resist him, but he forced my fingers over the notes.

"I'm sorry, but I can't even thank you for this." I said turning my hand so he could see the money.

"I don't expect you too, not after what I did. And you having to go through everything alone. But I'm here now. We'll sort things out tonight yeah?"

I nodded, pushed the money into my jeans and started the walk home. I smiled at the thought of him going to the house tonight and finding out we moved six months ago. I rang the bell and Dad let me in. My sister was asleep on the couch.

"Thank goodness you got little Sophie to sleep, you're such I brilliant Aunty." Dad said.

3 comments:

  1. They do seem lucky to know her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice twist. And I really like the line, "He lingered behind me like the smell of dog dirt on your shoe and he was as just as welcome."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I loved that ending!! There was me thinking the little 'un was hers!

    ReplyDelete